Yeast starter newbie - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimnhl18

Reaction score
I ordered a Tazmanian Devil 5G kit from NB and it arrived on Friday. Didn't realize I would need a starter until getting set up to brew on Saturday. I've never done a starter so I started researching and realized I would need DME. Off to the LHBS on Saturday morning and made a 2 liter starter about 1PM. Not having a stir plate I would shake the starter occasionally throughout the day. First mistake was using a growler for the fermentation so I can't really see what's going on. Second mistake was trying to rush things. I wanted to brew on a cold rainy spring day in Chicago (Sunday) so I started a cold crash of the starter about 6:30 AM on Sunday. After doing more research I found that I probably did not allow enough time for the yeast to reproduce before cold crashing. My question is, can I take it out of the fridge and pour it into a clear container to finish or have I ruined my starter? I realize I will probably not be brewing today but there are more dark dreary days ahead so I am OK with waiting a few more days to get good beer. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Don't worry about it. The yeast is alive and that is the most important thing. You have done nothing to hurt the yeast, and have probably increased the population with the small time in the starter.

No, you didn't NEED to make a starter. You could have straight pitched the yeast, but it would be under-pitching. Chances are it would just result in a slower start to fermentation, and you would not notice anything else.

I am not advocating not using a starter, I am just saying you will still make decent beer without doing one. A starter is important, to ensure the health of the yeast, get proper pitching rate, minimize risk of off flavors, and other benefits.

I think I would take it out of the fridge, forget cold crashing, and pitch the lot when it comes time to use the yeast.

Back