Yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
SO, I want to do a yeast starter. I have not done one before but I have watched a couple videos and done some reading.

If I have wyeast, do I need to pop the pack before I mix it in with my starter? Or do I just open the wyeast as is? And pour it in.

If I didn't explain that right let me know, and I will try to do it better. Hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Either way is fine. The inner pack is just a nutrient. I feel if it is good in the pouch it is good in the starter. Feed the yeast.

If you don't smack the pack the yeast will do just fine in the starter wort.

I just did my first starter last weekend. I used Wyeast 1450 and I popped it before pouring it into the starter wort. Not sure if this is how it was supposed to be done but considering I needed a blow off tube i think the yeasties we nice and happy.

The reason I say to smack the pack first, then let it swell, is that homebrew stores (the ones I know of) will refund your yeast if it doesn't show signs of viability in the wyeast bag. If you pour it in your starter jug/flask/whatever and your yeast doesn't kick off, it could be attributed to a number of things that you did.

The reason I say to smack the pack first, then let it swell, is that homebrew stores (the ones I know of) will refund your yeast if it doesn't show signs of viability in the wyeast bag.

there ya go, one of the many reasons to smack it! :ban: also, it just sucks when you plan on brewing, make a starter as part of that plan and then the starter doesn't start.

Back