Yeast Starter from Blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalati

Reaction score
Gents-

Anyone ever tried something like this before?
I've noted something that looks like yeast in my blow off buckets, and I'm wondering if this might work.

As a side note, do you think you lose a substantial amount of yeast with a blow off? As in, with a blow off tube, does your fermentation suffer because you're losing yeast?

Yeast Starter.png

(airlock not really needed, but w/e)

Gents-

Anyone ever tried something like this before?
I've noted something that looks like yeast in my blow off buckets, and I'm wondering if this might work.

I've not tried it myself, but have a friend who does it. I think if you make a starter from it, it would be fine. I'd be less optimistic about just pitching it straight, but on the other hand, it is at the height of its activity when it blows off.

As a side note, do you think you lose a substantial amount of yeast with a blow off? As in, with a blow off tube, does your fermentation suffer because you're losing yeast?

I've never thought of that question - that is a great question! I think the answer is no, but have no math to back me up on that.

I'm very optimistic about this style of harvesting yeast for 3 reasons:
1) there's much less handling of the yeast than washing it. (it's not open to outside air ever)
2) it's easier to sanitize a 2L flask than 4 mason jars (because you're already boiling the wort in the flask)
3) TIME! Instead of having to wait until fermentation is over to harvest this yeast, you're literally growing another culture while your brewing! My perception is I'd save a lot of time doing it like this.

I always understood that you wanted air exchange when doing a starter.

If the goal is quickly and easily obtaining yeast, why not just scoop off the top of a bucket and immediately repitch?

Back