Yeast Starter for Skeeter Pee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new brewer with some experience in beer brewing and cider making. I am aware one needs a yeast starter for making skeeter pee due to the acidity of the lemon juice. However, I don't know how to make a yeast starter that doesn't involve malt extract. Should I just replace the malt extract with cane sugar? And if so, how much sugar should replace the amount of DME I would otherwise use?

Thanks

Ive direct pitched Lavlin K1-v and didnt have any problems. Some guys in my homebrew club just keep passing the yeast cake from it. Have about 3 batches out of it now.

I'm mid-way through my first batch of Skeeter Pee.

I took about 600ml of the skeeter pee must and diluted it with water to make a 1000ml solution, then pitched my yeast and managed it as I would a standard beer starter. After a day or two I pitched that into my full batch of must.

Fermentation progressed identical to how it was described on the Skeeter Pee site...same time frame, same FG.

I'm going to add my post-fermentation sugar addition this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but everything seems to be going according to plan.

I'm mid-way through my first batch of Skeeter Pee.

I took about 600ml of the skeeter pee must and diluted it with water to make a 1000ml solution, then pitched my yeast and managed it as I would a standard beer starter. After a day or two I pitched that into my full batch of must.

Fermentation progressed identical to how it was described on the Skeeter Pee site...same time frame, same FG.

I'm going to add my post-fermentation sugar addition this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but everything seems to be going according to plan.

+1. I use EC-1118 its aggressive and does very well with SP.

Back