Yeast Starter, do I need a new one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurf12

Reaction score
Aug 21 I smacked a pack of Wyeast 1945 NB Neo Britannica
Aug 23 I put 1300ml of water and 1 cup of DME that I boiled and cooled with the yeast and plugged it with the foam plug then put it in a dark place.
(I dont have a stir plate but I will have one tomorrow.)

I was planning on brewing Aug 27 but I didn't (got scared of starting my first partial mash brew with the time I had available)

I plan on brewing tomorrow, Thursday or Saturday.

What I need to know is:

A. Did I ruin this yeast and is it now inviable for my Oat Meal Stout OG 1.049
B. Should I order a new smack pack and start over once I get my stirplate
C. Should I pour off the starter beer and add some more dme and water to this yeast?
D. None of the above(add your own advice, it's happily accepted!)

Thanks in advance!

Nick
P.S. this will be my second brew, be gentile:mug:

With the starter you made, you should have enough cells to ferment properly. I would just go ahead and use it. If you want to increase the cell count more or recheck vitality, you can make a new starter, but you should be fine.

You never NEED a starter, but they are helpful for checking vitality and obtaining larger cell counts.

Thank you,

My mind is now at ease....now if I can rev myself to try partial mash I'll feel better :)

Nick

I just started all grain (2nd batch yesterday), and it's not as difficult as you would think.

You never NEED a starter, but they are helpful for checking vitality and obtaining larger cell counts.
Bakeup I beg to differ.

For the OP just be really careful of the advice you get on any forum I think you will find overwhelming evidence of the need for starters. If you do your research and take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt you will be fine. Just about everything on the internet is opinions and not facts, opinons are like a-holes eveyone has one. :D

Some of the reasons why you need a starter (there are more)
1) Yeast viability is unknown when you buy liquid yeast, your yeast could be completely dead or 100% or anywhere in between.
2) The approx 100Billion Yeast cells contained in a smack pack or vial are rarely enough for a brew to be correctly pitched.
3) Reduce the chance of getting a stuck brew, insufficient yeast can lead to the yeast becomes exhausted and unable to finish fermenting the brew leaving at it with poor attenuation and a higher level of sweetness.
4) Underpitching can lead to off flavors and fusel alcohol production.
5) Of all the elements of beer yeast is the most critical in controlling the flavor of your beer.

If you make a starter and leave it for a couple of days that is OK and more is fine but if you know you are not going to brew for a few days after it has fermented out just put it in the fridge. This is called crash cooling, making the yeast flocculate out on the bottom of the starter container. The day of the brew you can decant the spent wort, allow the starter to warm to wort temps, swirl the yeast back into suspension with a little of the wort that was not decanted and pitch straight into the fermenter. Yeast viablity in the fridge is much better than it sitting in your brew cupboard, it will keep for a week without any significant problems longer than that I would make a starter the night before the brew just to wake them up a bit. Once you have a few brews under your belt you will get a system that works for you.

If you are interested in yeast pitching rates there are tools out there that tell you how much yeast your need for a given volume and OG of wort (Mr Malty is the common one). Or if you want to become obsessed about it then there are some great articles about yeast reproduction. My personal favorite for a really scientific approach to the issue is the Maltosefalcon webste they have an article on yeast propagation and maintenance.

Clem

say what?

you most definitely need a starter if you want to pitch proper rates for the majority of ales and esp lagers unless you are pitching washed yeast/slurry

OP - if you are going to brew on thurs or saturday I would put the container in the fridge to let the yeast settle to the bottom. Then on brew day take it out and carefully decant (pour off) the liquid on top leaving just a little to swirl with the yeast cake down below so that you can pour them into your wort at pitching time

You don't need a starter, but if you don't make one, you'll likely need 2,3,4 or more smack packs or vials to have proper pitching rates. So, it all depends on if you want to take the time to make a starter or not.

I guess what I mean is that if you're feeling lazy (like I do sometimes), you can just direct pitch a smack pack or WL vial. I do try to use starters as much as I can because it does affect final beer flavor. A starter does make for better beer, but RDWHAHB. It will be beer in the end one way or another.

I guess what I mean is that if you're feeling lazy (like I do sometimes), you can just direct pitch a smack pack or WL vial. I do try to use starters as much as I can because it does affect final beer flavor. A starter does make for better beer, but RDWHAHB. It will be beer in the end one way or another.

Just remember comments especially to new brewers could be miss interpreted as good brewing practice. We all here are about better brewing and that is probably why you got slammed.

Just remember comments especially to new brewers could be miss interpreted as good brewing practice. We all here are about better brewing and that is probably why you got slammed.

You're right. I mean, I'm on here to make better beer too. If I didn't care, I probably wouldn't be scouring these forums for good info all the time. :mug:

What kind of yeast have you used? If it's lager yeast, well, that might take longer time because lager beers, according to Wikipedia, take more than a month to ferment at cold temperatures. It's actually the secret behind the lager beer which was discovered by Germans where in fact, this yeast is found to be originated from Argentina. For ages, scientists have been attempting to determine where lager yeast originated from prior to being used by Germany during the Sixteenth century to brew lager-style beers. The beer with German roots uses a yeast that comes from Argentina. I actually found it here: Origins of lager yeast traced to Argentina.

Back