Yeast starter concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be the mighty flocculating powers of English yeast! Be amazed at its chunkiness and cheese like qualities!

This is also why English yeast tends to finish higher than a lower flocc'ing yeast.

I saw the picture before I read the Q and thought "That looks like WLP002/Wyeast 1968."

Totally normal. It's probably the most flocculant yeast out there. The egg drop soup effect happens every time with that yeast.

Wlp007 does the same. Freaked me out first time it happened. Great all round yeast though

Wait until you see the yeast cake in the fermenter with 002 - it's like a layer of rubber!

I just used Wyeast 1968 for an English Mild I just brewed and my starter was flocculating in 12 hours. Even with a stir plate it was clumping as it was spinning. Great yeast, super flocculant, and will leave some sugars behind as it is not as attenuative as some others.

John

Glad I found this since I got WLP 002 spinning up right now with an intense amount of the egg drop soup texture spinning in there. Even when I dumped it in after warming the package, it had drywall mud texture.

I got the same with a starter for Wyeast German Ale. The yeast had a tendency to agglomerate and looks very course after refrigeration. I have made hundred of starters and this is the first time that I observe this.

Latest posts

Back