Yeast starter color dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
Enclosed photo of English Ale yeast starter, and it seems like it is much darker than any other I have done. (I used light DME) I know the yeastbergs are normal for English, but how about the color?

102_9606.jpg

Didn't get info about if this is stir-plated or not. My assumption was that this is close to when you pitched the yeast. Don't worry. You're not Edvard Munch :)

I always do a yeast starter and always use the same recipe for a 1000 ml volume using light DME. One of the two flasks I have is exactly the same as the one in the picture.

I get the differences in color too. In fact, I just did two equal starters, both using WLP001 from unopened vials, DME from the same bag, and water from the same filtered water bottle for a 10 gallon batch and they came out in different shades! It may be due to boiling one longer than the other (I imagine at the low volume level even a little bit of extra heat means a lot). It could also be how heat is distributed/handled differently by each of my flasks.

Funny thing is, I don't recall noting the color difference before.

Thank you..the boil was only about 5 min
if I go away for a week now, and I refrigerate, will I stop all the action?

Thank you..the boil was only about 5 min
if I go away for a week now, and I refrigerate, will I stop all the action?

I boil mine for 10 minutes.

Yes, you will stop the action. The temperature drop will cause the yeast to go dormant.

Back