Yeast starter blow out and low Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtebbs

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new poster but been reading articles for a bit now.

I brewed a Belgian IPA today and my starter blew out, first time I've seen this. I pitched the super active yeast not expecting any issues but now, after 5 hours I am seeing zero krausen. I used while labs trappist ales yeast. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Can I pitch more yeast and save it?

Give it a few days. Five hours is a really short period of time to expect activity. You just tossed them into a different world and they're adjusting now.

You made a starter, that means the yeast IS viable. That's the major point of making a starter, to let you know the yeast is alive and well. Unless between making the starter and pitching it you either froze or boiled your yeast, there never is a reason to believe that modern yeast, especially with a starter would suddenly cease to work.

It just isn't like that, yeast are amazing and resilient creatures that can survive and singlemindedly do their jobs. In fact the current strain of yeast called "Cry Havoc" of Charlie Papazian sat for nearly 20 years in a fridge. He had a jar of infected yeast, that he put away to study later, and forgot about it, and it got piled in the back of his keezer or beer fridge, forgotten. 2 decades later he stumbled upon it, and for ****s and giggles made a starter with it, not expecting much. To his surprise it worked, and when he brewed a batch of beer with it, he even found that not only did it work, but 1) the wild yeast that caused the infection long died out 2) and it made for an extremely crisp and clean beer.

People have also cultured yeast that was trapped in amber for thousands of year. And recently grown yeast and fermented beer in space.

So that's why I always find it so amazing, that even despite making starters that prove the yeast is working, many new brewers can't seem to trust these amazing creatures.

The biggest problem, and I think by it now taking off as you posted (which I didn't see when I started writing this,) is that WE HUMANS think we're in charge, and we try to impose OUR timeframes on them. We expect the yeast to work when we want it to, and expect it to finish at the exact moment the instructions say it will. But as I say all the time, yeast can't read, they don't know what day it is, they don't know the time. They don't know we have a deadline (which we shouldn't) so if it doesn't act exactly how we think it will, even though we know the yeast is fine. We immediately think something's wrong.

When usually the only thing wrong is our lack of faith in them.

You got a lesson today of something we usually forget, yeast are wild creatures, there is always some wildcard factor at play.

:mug:

Revvy, great reply. You are right patience is one of my weaknesses. I need to rely a little more on my little yeast buddies and not jump to problem solving mode too quickly.

That's why I think these threads, especially when the thread starter comes back and follows up, are so valuable. There's hundreds of other noobs more than likely looking for just such re-assurances as you got. And you coming back and saying everything's fine, is pretty reassuring.

I tell people all the time to not think in terms of "fixing" a problem, if you don't really know there IS a problem.... and you only know that by waiting a few days, OR taking a gravity reading.

You were right. Looking great this morning

Awesome! The funny thing is that I pitched some US-05 about 24 hours ago and have no activity either. Am I worried?? Hell no. I've had this kind of lag before. It's cold in my basement at this time of year. The swamp cooler is at about 60F.

It's usually people that pitch too warm that get these quick starting violent fermentations. That's not good. Let the yeast chug along at a nice rate and you'll be rewarded.

That's why I think these threads, especially when the thread starter comes back and follows up, are so valuable.

I always like these Revvy posts.

I agree 1000% on your comment. How many times have you seen someone go try something out on their beer and say they'll report back, yet it was five years ago and no further post was made. It's always something that I was searching for and want to know about too!!

I guess I thought using the trapping ale yeast would have caused a really fast start but we definitely have lift off now. It looks like a horror movie in there. Have you guys brewed with this yeast before. It's a white labs brand the package just says trapping ale yeast.

Back