Yeast Starter and beyond...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarkis

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a step by step guide to give me a clear understanding of the yeast starter process. Making the starter seems straightforward, but my questions come after that initial process:

1. I have heard that you should begin the starter anywhere from 3 days to 12 hours before pitching the yeast, which is it?

2. When using the stir plate, how exactly is it used? Do I make the starter, place it on the stir plate and just leave it on for a few days or just a few hours before pitching it?

3. The little pill shaped piece you drop into the beaker for the oxygen, how do you get that out? Do you just pour it into the wort with the yeast and retrieve it later?

I think that’s it for now. Thanks for your help. Going to be brewing a barleywine next week so this is my first starter for a high OG beer.

I have been trying to find a step by step guide to give me a clear understanding of the yeast starter process. Making the starter seems straightforward, but my questions come after that initial process:

1. I have heard that you should begin the starter anywhere from 3 days to 12 hours before pitching the yeast, which is it?

2. When using the stir plate, how exactly is it used? Do I make the starter, place it on the stir plate and just leave it on for a few days or just a few hours before pitching it?

3. The little pill shaped piece you drop into the beaker for the oxygen, how do you get that out? Do you just pour it into the wort with the yeast and retrieve it later?

I think that’s it for now. Thanks for your help. Going to be brewing a barleywine next week so this is my first starter for a high OG beer.

3 get a magnetic pick up tool or magnet. slide it along outside along glass to pull out the stirrer.
1&2. Sanitize flask jar etc. Pour in yeast vial. Pour in 1.040 gravity liquid. Spin for min 24 hours. That's my procedures.
Good luck.

This site and mrmalty.com.

There are many variables on deciding how long to run a starter on a stirplate. The first being what the OG of the recipe. A low OG may take just over night a higher one may require either a huge starter or a stepped starter.

I freeze vials of yeast at 5 ml in yeast cells so that takes me a week to propagate. Requiring several steps.

This site and mrmalty.com.

There are many variables on deciding how long to run a starter on a stirplate. The first being what the OG of the recipe. A low OG may take just over night a higher one may require either a huge starter or a stepped starter.

I freeze vials of yeast at 5 ml in yeast cells so that takes me a week to propagate. Requiring several steps.

Figured we are on training wheels, first day of riding. : )

I usually try to make my yeast starters within 48 hours of the date/time that I'm going to pitch it. You may want to give an extra day or so (72 - 96 hrs) for a lager starter to ensure you reach the size and growth.

Essentially, yes. Make the starter, place it on the stir plate and let it go until you're ready to pitch. Some will recommend chilling and decanting, however I usually pitch the entire starter volume and have not noted any off-flavors or effects.

When you pour the starter from the flask to the bucket or carboy, do so slowly. The stir bar is more dense than the starter liquid and will sink to the bottom of the flask. I usually drain all bit a small amount of liquid to avoid transferring the stirbar to the wort. If it goes in, it's not a big deal. Just retrieve it after fermentation is over.

Hope this helps.

One thing on a stir plate, all you need to do is get a spinning action, with a "dimple" at the top. You don't need a vortex, even though they look cool. A vortex might from items I have read be too hard on the yeast, they are tempremental little fungi.

Back