Yeast starter 48h before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

Reaction score
Is there a probleme to make a starter 48h before pitching? I have old yeast slurry in my fridge and i wanna know if it is still viable. Making the starter tonight will let me some time to buy fresh yeast tomorrow if the yeast slurry is not good.

I'm asking this because i always read " Make a yeast starter 24h before pitching ".

thank you!

There is no problem with it at all. The yeast you buy at the store has been sitting a lot longer than that. With a starter you are just making sure the yeast is viable and waking it up.

How are you doing the starter? Stir Plate? Shaking it?

Not a problem at all, I've stores up some starters that take 7 days to complete for proper pitching, like stated already, cold crash it, decant and use it

Thanks for the reply.

I dont know now if i will use my homemade stir plate ( never used it before ) or by shaking it. If i want to use the stir plate i am limited to a 1L flask and i dont know if this is enought for a 1.071 beer. If 1L is not enought i will use a plastic bottle ( 4L ) so i can make a 2l-2.5l starter but i will need to shake it..

What do you think about that?

Bock said:
Thanks for the reply.

I dont know now if i will use my homemade stir plate ( never used it before ) or by shaking it. If i want to use the stir plate i am limited to a 1L flask and i dont know if this is enought for a 1.071 beer. If 1L is not enought i will use a plastic bottle ( 4L ) so i can make a 2l-2.5l starter but i will need to shake it..

What do you think about that?

Why can't you use the stir plate with the plastic bottle?

Hmm i never try! i will go try it out and if it work i will do this. else i will use the classic shaking method ! thank you

Back