Yeast Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
I want to know if I can make a yeast starter a couple days in advance- and then store the it in fridge for a day or two before I use it?
I realize that it would have to be room or wort temperature before I pitch it.

Thoughts?

No problems with that. I do it with every starter to get as much yeast as possible out of suspension before I decant. I try to plan to crash my starters for at least 24 to 48 hours between steps or pitching. On brew day, before I start the mash, I take my flask out, decant and let it start warming up. About 10 mins into the boil, I pull about a quart from the kettle and cool it and put in the flask and throw it on the stir plate. By the time I'm ready to pitch the yeast are wide awake and ready to go.

Yes. Most who make anything over an OG of 1.050 do this, or if you use liquid yeast. It's very common practice. When you pull it out of the fridge you can decant (pour off 90% of the wort) or you can just swirl it and pour everything in once you are at pitching temps and the starter is at room temp.

Back