Yeast slurry too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knollybru

Reaction score
I have small mason jar of yeast that's now 5 months old that harvested from a previous starter. I did the Brulosphy method of yeast harvesting. Obviously I would make starter before using. Maybe a step starter?

I've used this method many times but never waited this long between brew days. Is it too old?

I've done it a number of times with 2 year old samples from starters. 2 weeks ago I did it with 30 month old WLP550, which I plan to use this weekend. I have also saved a fresh sample for future use.

Wow. That's pretty old. I think I might try doing a 1L starter and build it up. Just to make sure it's still viable. Thanks for the vote o confidence @Calder

I just brewed a 10 gal IPA and pitched into two seperate ferment buckets... One mason jar was S-05 and one was WY1318. Both jars were at least 5 months old (harvested slurry) possibly approaching 7 months old (real good record keeping, I know).

Anyway, I forgot to make starters and just threw them in the buckets (once they were up to temp)... The WY1318 was bubbling away within 36 hours... The S-05 had zero activity going into day #3 so I top cropped off the WY1318 and threw it in the bucket and and had activity within 2 hours.

I'm a bit surprised that it took off so quick... Possibility that the S-05 was working (although it didn't look like it was going anywhere AT ALL when I threw the krausen on top). Is that normal?

Hope that made sense... hope it was helpful and sorry for possibly hijacking the thread.

You can expect significant lag time, as you probably only have a small amount of viable yeast with questionable vitality, but . . . it will work.

I think it is great that you harvested a starter, as that starts you with the least potential for contamination (all other things equal) for a sample.

Latest posts

Back