Yeast separation and trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadders

Reaction score
Is anyone able to tell me if this is a whole lot of trub with a little yeast and beer on top or whether I should give it longer to separate. It’s been a couple of hours since I rinsed and decanted the yeast from the fermentor.

thanks!

Attachments

• C769C4E6-BB07-46FA-B49E-798D8539452A.jpeg
    C769C4E6-BB07-46FA-B49E-798D8539452A.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 59
Let it go longer, that looks too dark for yeast, so it's definitely trub. That seems to be a lot of trub after rinsing and decanting from fermentor. Did you pour everything out of fermentor? You are suppose to only pour off the water and lighter colored sludge and leave the darker color stuff behind in the fermentor. Check out this episode of Chop & Brew, Don Osborn has a simple easy way to wash yeast, I use his method.

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a whole lot of trub with a little yeast and beer on top or whether I should give it longer to separate. It’s been a couple of hours since I rinsed and decanted the yeast from the fermentor.

thanks!

There is not nearly enough talk about trub among home brewers. I have been dumping all of the spent hops and other solids in my cooled wart into my fermenter under the assumption that it would settle to the bottom and not affect the flavor of the resulting beer. Then I got a conical fermenter and realized that it was all pure evil. For IPAs that have high hop counts, not only does it impart bitter flavors to the final product, the combination of actual hot and cold trub with spent hops. sets up like concrete and is nearly impossible to pull off in a false bottom. I'm going to start pouring all of my cooled wart through a filter bag before introducing it to the fermenter from now on and I'm counting on this being the most change I've made in a long time.

There is not nearly enough talk about trub among home brewers. I have been dumping all of the spent hops and other solids in my cooled wart into my fermenter under the assumption that it would settle to the bottom and not affect the flavor of the resulting beer. Then I got a conical fermenter and realized that it was all pure evil. For IPAs that have high hop counts, not only does it impart bitter flavors to the final product, the combination of actual hot and cold trub with spent hops. sets up like concrete and is nearly impossible to pull off in a false bottom. I'm going to start pouring all of my cooled wart through a filter bag before introducing it to the fermenter from now on and I'm counting on this being the most change I've made in a long time.

If your setup is amenable to it, you may wish to install a whirlpool in your boil kettle. It requires a pump and appropriate weld less pass throughs, but will setup a great majority of your solids in a cone in the middle after whirlpooling and letting settle for 10-15 min. I have all that as it’s integrated into a recirculating cooling setup, but the poor mans whirlpool is to stir it for a minute or two and let settle. That method only requires an outlet on your BK to allow the cone to sit undisturbed.

This last batch I tried something a bit different with my conical. After cooling to 70 I poured into the fermenter like normal, except instead of throwing the yeast in right away I waited about 30 minutes to an hour. This let some of that sediment that made it into the fermenter settle to the bottom. Then I dumped it out and poured in the yeast. I don't think the time it sat before the yeast was introduced was bad and curious to see how this affects the final product.

Latest posts

Back