yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schattz

Reaction score
alright so I picked up a white labs 300 (hefe) yeast from the homebrew store. he gave it to me for free because apperntly the shipment did not come in cold he said if was about room temp do I try to create a low stress environment meaning a little less dme than a normal lets say 1-2 cup dme?

I would go with a normal 1.040 starter. Assuming the yeast is viable then it just needs to start propagating. The owner of my LHBS always brews with expired yeast or swelled Wyeast smackpacks and claims to have never had an issue.

WY3068 (apparently the same strain as WLP300) is the only yeast I don't make a starter for.
You want esters in a Hef.
If you want to limit the production of banana, make a starter.
If you haven't used that yeast before, be prepared for a BIG krausen - make sure there is at least one third head space, or use a blow off tube.

thanks and yeah my LHBS didn't have amercain hefe(originally recipe called for) so I decided to just go with the reg hef so I don't really need the banana flavor just want to make sure the yeast is good I guess

If you want an american wheat then use something clean like US-05 or WLP001. I know that Bells Oberon uses a house version of wyeast 1272 american ale II. It's one of my favorite wheat beers

You don't "NEED" the banana flavor but you're gonna get it with the WLP300

Back