Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update. Most of the activity in the airlock has completed. It has been in the bucket in my closet for 8 days, so I thought I would give it a gravity and taste test. Here is what I found:

Gravity: 1.003 which, given the 1.052 OG puts me at about 6.4 ABV. Not bad.

Taste test: Grapefruit lemon and citrus, finished a bit dry though. Warm and uncarbonated it didn't taste bad. I am hoping once it is carbonated and cold it will be ever better.

Next step: Take another reading on Tuesday or Wednesday and add dry hops. If all goes well, kegging or bottling will take place either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I know I missed my OG number, but the yeast did it's thing and put me in the right ABV range, so I am pretty happy there. Might adjust the grain bill next time to get my OG up a bit.

That's quite low for FG, hence the (unexpected) dryness. Your wort must have been very fermentable, possibly due to mashing at low(er) temps.
Did you end up using Nottingham?
BRY-97. It took off fast. I bet if I would have hit the 1.061 that Brewfather said I should have, it would have been a bit better. I might try it again and add a pound or two of 2 row and munich and see what I end up with.

Heck, now I am being told on the other forum that my number is off? Poster said that he does not think BRY97 would ferment to that low of a FG. I swear I don't think I am built for this. I thought I had a pretty good beer here, but now I am wondering. Oh well, guess I will just wait and see. Damn it.

I thought I had a pretty good beer here, but now I am wondering.
Why? If it's done fermenting it's done fermenting, and if it tastes good it tastes good.

Lallemand says that BRY-97 should attentuate 78-84%. So maybe your SG reading is off a little. How did you measure and did you make the appropriate corrections?

Why? If it's done fermenting it's done fermenting, and if it tastes good it tastes good.

Lallemand says that BRY-97 should attentuate 78-84%. So maybe your SG reading is off a little. How did you measure and did you make the appropriate corrections?
I used my Hydrometer on that as well. I thought I had it nailed pretty well, but I could have missed by a point or two. The wort may have been warm too. I put it in the fridge but never actually took the temp before I tested it. I tested my hydrometer with room temp water this morning, and it read just about 1.000 so I think I am ok there. But who knows. LOL.

now I am being told on the other forum that my number is off? Poster said that he does not think BRY97 would ferment to that low of a FG.
The other common possibility is contamination / infection. Over attenuation can be caused by almost anything added after the boil.

I see from that topic that you are planning to take an additional FG measurement in a couple of days.

from that 'other' other forum, where they have a wiki that consolidates and peer reviews content:

"Your beer is ready to bottle or keg when:
  1. The gravity is stable at its true terminal gravity over readings at least two days apart. The true terminal gravity can only be determined by running a Forced Fermentation Test (not a beginner technique), but it's reasonable to use the estimated FG from your recipe or brewing software.
  2. The yeast have dropped out and the beer is looking fairly clear (for styles that are not intended to be hazy). Chilling the beer to as close to freezing as you can get, if you can, will speed up clearing. So will using finings, such as gelatin, in the fermenter. Especially if the beer is very cold.
  3. The beer tastes free from off flavors that might be cured from further maturation on the yeast cake, such as diacetyl (artificial butter, slick mouthfeel), acetaldehyde (latex paint, drunk breath, browning apples, fresh cut unripe apples), or green off flavor (harshness, roughness, unpleasant in back of throat)."
Similar, detailed approaches can be found in books (and other peer reviewed content).

Topics do quietly flow from forum to forum. Don't be surprised to see more disucssion on possible contanimation sources showing up in other forums over the next 4 to 6 week.

Recipe software fails us when it comes to estimated FG. It should be a range, not a number and certainly not a number with digits after the decimal point.

Last edited:
Heck, now I am being told on the other forum that my number is off? Poster said that he does not think BRY97 would ferment to that low of a FG. I swear I don't think I am built for this. I thought I had a pretty good beer here, but now I am wondering. Oh well, guess I will just wait and see. Damn it.
Yeast is a living organism and it does what it wants. While not typical, sometimes due to the conditions being just right, yeast will attenuate farther than is expected. If the beer tastes good, quit worrying about the low FG. It could be a mistake in reading the hydrometer or it could just be the yeast liking the conditions and going farther than expected.

Taking the time to confirm that fermentation has stopped (2, maybe 3, FG measurements) is a good way to help avoid a batch of gushers if one is bottling.

edits: formatting

eta: to state the obvious: the purpose of the Forced Fermentation test is to understand what the yeast want to do with this batch. I generally don't do one, but that has consequences when FG comes in lower then expected at the end of fermentation.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied. I am still learning and I am going to run this one all the way thru and see where I end up. Going to check Gravity again in the next day or two, then once more before dry hop. I adjusted my Brewfather efficiency to show OG where I measure it at 1.054, and it states that I should be around 1.010 for FG. While 1.003 is still low, I am a bit closer I think than I thought I was. When I tasted it, I did not notice any off flavors, just a bit dry at the finish if that makes sense. My wife, who is not a beer drinker at all, did not notice anything when she tasted it either. Commented it has a very Grapefruit/Lemon taste. I will take another gravity reading maybe Tuesday and Wednesday and hope to dry hop Wednesday and bottle or keg Saturday or Sunday. All of this, of course, is if my FG number does not change. We shall see where it ends up. Once again, thank you to all who replied and putting up with my, mostly, stupid questions and ignorant rants of what I should or should not be doing. All the info is helping me get to where I want to be.

OK, so as a somewhat final post for this one. It has been kegged for about a week at about 12psi. I know it is not carbed all the way, but shoot me, I am impatient. I pulled a small sample from the keg, temp of the beer out was about 42 degrees. Aroma, very citrus smell to me. Smells very good, so let's continue on. LOL. Taste test: Can very much taste the Citra. Has a very citrus taste, kinda grapefruit lemon taste. Very crisp finsh. I really dig it, but wonder if another addition might calm the citra down a bit and round it out. Might try a kettle addition next time, maybe Amarillo or one of my home grown. Either way, it isn't bad, but a very strong hoppy beer that I can see if you only dig that type. I will try it again, upping the grain bill to get closer to my OG and maybe add a hop or two during the boil to try and calm the Citra a bit. But, as of now anyway, I will enjoy it as it is.

With the amount of Citra you used, I doubt that any other addition will calm it down. I love to use Citra along with Amarillo or Cascade, giving the beer orange or grapefruit flavors respectively but Citra by itself to me tastes of Mango. Try making this beer again but use a neutral bittering hop like Magnum or Nugget (one ounce works for me) and no late additions. Then dry hop with one ounce of Citra and one ounce of Amarillo.

Back