Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve34

Reaction score
I am about to brew a beer with a scheduled OG of 1.074, I have not brewed anything this high and the yeast pack I have is set only for brews up to 1.060. It suggests I create a yeast starter but have not done this before.

Is it better to do the yeast starter or get a second yeast pack? When I brewed an Octoberfest I remember using two yeast packs as a suggestion from the store I bought everything from. I can't exactly remember why he suggested two yeast tubes but it did work out so.

What are your suggestions? Thanks.

do you have the ability to make a starter? If not, and don't plan on making one in the future, it may be just as cost efficient to just buy another pack.

Things you will need for a starter is DME (or some wort that's around 1.040 gravity), a container such as a 1 gal growler, or an Erlenmeyer flask (or just about any jug or qt sized mason jar that you can clean and sanitize and will hold about 6 cups of water).....not that you will need 6 cups, but the extra head room after 2 cups water:1/2 cup DME for a starter "wort" will be needed if you don't have a stir plate.

Making a starter is VERY VERY easy, and there are tons of post about it.....but depending on when you want to brew, you will need 24-36 hours advance time to start the starter before you actually pitch it. I make my starters on Tuesday for a Saturday brewday.

Steve,
It's all about cell count. You can pitch two packs to increase yeast cell count which will hopefully prevent stressing the yeast as it comes to terms with the higher OG you are starting with, or you can increase cell count by building a starter. Either way you are achieving the same result. There will be a thousand brews and brewers who have used a single pack and had fine results but entering the information into a yeast calculator will let you know what you should be pitching at that OG. Following the rules is better for your yeast and will give you more consistent results.

www.BacYeast.com

Back