Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepetitnormand

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I took the habit of harvesting my slurry from each batch and reuse it for next one (well at least must of the time ) and until the last harvest I could always see two layer, the true at the bottom and then the yeast above and of couse liquid above, as can be seen in the US 05 jar, this time the W1084 (used to brew an irish red ale) shows 3 layers, one of them really white and almost solid, it just slide around when you gently swirl the put, I would be interested if anyone of you could give me a quick description of what this third layer could be (or maybe it was so thin on the other harvest that I did not paid attention to it)

Thanks

PS drinking a pattersbier at lunch time to see if this is worth rewind for this summer ...

DSCN2974.jpg

The pure white layer of WY 1084 yeast on the top is the least flocculant yeast cells. These cells having a distinctly different flocculation rate may not perform the same as the other yeast cells if used separately for a new fermentation.

Back