Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
Hello all. I am getting ready to start my first batch of beer and I had one quick question.

I have a no boil beer kit (I know boring :D ) and I was wondering if I need to rehydrate the yeast before pitching it. The directions for the kit say to "just sprinkle it in," but from almost everything else that I have read it seems like you need to rehydrate it first. So I am not to sure what to do.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

You should probably rehydrate it to let it work a little better. however, the yeast included in some kits has been known to be of less than ideal quality. if the yeast is an off brand you might want to consider going to a local homebrew store and buying some quality yeast to ensure proper fermentation and flavor. good luck and enjoy.

Thanks. The extract that I will using is Muntons Export Pilsner. The yeast package doesn't say much. It is dry ale yeast and the only thing that I can see so far as a brand name would be "Safale US-05" I guess I am too much of beginner to know if this good yeast or not.

Its a good yeast depending on what your making, I believe it used to be 56 as in 1056, but dont quote me, you can do a quick google search on safale us 05 and get some good info, like ideal fermenting temps etc

It's up to you if you rehydrate it or not. There's two advantages to reydrating it:

1) It might start fermenting a little faster.

2) If you add a little wort to it after you rehydrate it, you can 'test' it to see if you have a bad batch or not. If it's a good batch of yeast, you should see some bubbles in a few hours after you add some wort to it.

Me, I'd just pitch it. :)

You lose about 50% of the yeast by not re-hydrating and the remainder will be weaker. It's such a minor effort, I can't see any reason to skip it. Safale is a Fermentis product and their directions.

david_42 said:
You lose about 50% of the yeast by not re-hydrating and the remainder will be weaker. It's such a minor effort, I can't see any reason to skip it. Safale is a Fermentis product and their directions.

Thanks, I think I will just go through the minor amount of trouble and rehydrate it. I figure now is about as good a time as any to learn. Mught as well do the first batch as right as I can. Thanks again! :)

Back