Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmynuts

Reaction score
If you order an extract kit and it doesn't give you an estimated FG, how do you calculate how much yeast to pitch?

FG doesn't matter when determining how much yeast to pitch. Volume and OG are required. Use an online calculator like mrmalty.com or yeastcalculator.com.

FG doesn't matter when determining how much yeast to pitch. Volume and OG are required. Use an online calculator like mrmalty.com or yeastcalculator.com.

Brewers Friend has a good calculator also. Brewers Friend also has a few other calculators on the site you will find helpful.

It is best to rehydrate the dry yeast you may have ordered with your kit. Rehydration will give you the full potential of packet of yeast to finish your beer. Pitching dry will damage up to half of the yeast cells.

It is best to make a starter with liquid yeast. The starter size is based on the production date of the yeast. Wyeast has the production date on the smack pack. White Labs yeast prints the best by date on the package. The production date is 4 months preceding the best by date.

I'm not sure what I was thinking of. I was playing around with some online calculators yesterday. Must have been for calculating something else.

Thanks anyway everyone!

I'm not sure what I was thinking of. I was playing around with some online calculators yesterday. Must have been for calculating something else.

Thanks anyway everyone!

Probably ABV calculator if you needed FG. You are entering a new world, with tasty results.

You are entering a new world, with tasty results.

I know! I've only made one batch, and it probably won't even turn out good because of my out of control fermentation temperatures. It really would have paid off to research more on here beforehand. But it has pretty much taken over my mind. I have a very addictive personality. All I do is browse the forums and look at different recipes that I want to try.

Try out some tried and true extract or partial mash kits from a reputable supplier. Sellers site will usually have reviews of the kits.
My situation works best for extract and partial mash. Northern Brewer is my supplier. Fresh ingredients. Excellent customer service. Flat rate shipping. I'll order 3 to 5 kits at a time.

Try out some tried and true extract or partial mash kits from a reputable supplier. Sellers site will usually have reviews of the kits.
My situation works best for extract and partial mash. Northern Brewer is my supplier. Fresh ingredients. Excellent customer service. Flat rate shipping. I'll order 3 to 5 kits at a time.

Northern Brewer is who I am using as well. I have just received my Dead Ringer IPA extract kit and will be starting it soon. I'll agree with you on their customer service. I originally ordered the Deluxe Starter Kit. Then placed a second order for various items instead of picking up everything as I went: gravity test kit, stir plate and flask, etc. Immediately after placing the order they started a special offer, sending you a free big mouth fermenter when spending over a certain dollar amount. I contacted them through the website and the representative added the fermenter to my order, no problem.

Latest posts

Back