Yeast Question/ Accidental Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hansa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
alright... I was trying to make a German brown ale but now it looks like I’ve brewed a barley wine/Strong Belgian beer haha

Due to a mistake in brewing my last beer (using too much lme), I shot over the predicted 8% ABV and landed 1.120 og which has a potential of being 14% if it attenuates 75-80%...I used 1 and a half packets of White labs German kölsch yeast and a little bit of (frozen) lutra kveik and a decent amount of nutrient... I am worried that the Yeasts are going to stress out because their alcohol tolerance is at its highest 10/11%... Should I add more yeast or am I fine? If I should use more yeast what should I use?

grain bill
5 lb Vienna (step mash)
5 lb Munich lme
7 lb Bavarian wheat lme
0.19 oz molasses

You can add some other yeast... but you might want to consider diluting down with distilled water to achieve your goal instead, to end up with about 1.5 times as much 8% ABV beer, which the existing yeast should have no trouble fermenting.

Let it rock I say...

From the Omega site:

" You may notice your homebrew package states Lutra Kveik's ABV as 11%. We have tested Lutra's limits extensively in hard seltzer fermentations, and find that Lutra will fully attenuate sugar-based fermentations to produce up to 15% ABV! Happy brewing! "

Give it time, keep control of the temperature and could consider some more nutrient as Kveik likes that.
German brown barley wine you aren't going to want to drink this by the pint I'd say but it'll keep well for a really long time.

Give it time, keep control of the temperature and could consider some more nutrient as Kveik likes that.
Yeah that sounds good to me... I’m keeping it at 72 F and I’ll add some more lutra in a day or two since I pitched what I had left frozen... I have read that you can freeze kveik and it will still work but I am not entirely convinced

I dried my kveik and froze it. I put a few flakes in a wort each time and it goes crazy.
If it's fermenting I'd leave it. Kveik does better with an underpitch and it is strange stuff to use.
How long has it been fermenting?

I dried my kveik and froze it. I put a few flakes in a wort each time and it goes crazy.
If it's fermenting I'd leave it. Kveik does better with an underpitch and it is strange stuff to use.
How long has it been fermenting?
Yeah... Kveik is strange to say the least. I think it should be fine but I get a little nervous sometimes... I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon but I’m not able to check on it that much because it’s at a friends house but he still keeps me in the loop... it should be going strong if there’s Kveik involved

I'd be interested to hear how the co ferment goes, could be fairly violent krausen on that beer once it gets going. I'm still only about 10 batches in using kveik on lots of different things, fermenting on it's own but hot and under pressure from the start if I want a clean ferment and open if I want all the fruit as for a NEIPA.
I haven't done any cool ferments with it but many do and get good results. Drying the yeast and freezing it has made life very easy, though it's still fun to make a starter.

I'd be interested to hear how the co ferment goes, could be fairly violent krausen on that beer once it gets going
I’m bit interested as well, I think it will bubble a lot more than the last beer we did which was pretty strong too... luckily we are fermenting in a keg with a spunding valve that doesn’t make too much of a mess

Might want to consider a blowoff tube from the keg as the liquid going thru spunding valve not good unless you have the Spundit ( the more expensive one).

If you have the red plastic kegland Tpiece put gas out from keg to one input on t piece with an extension tube going down into the bottle. Then put spunding valve on the other bit of the T piece. You don't need to have water in the pet bottle as it's all sealed.
I recently took my duotight spunding valve mk2 apart and there was a lot of grot in there.

Back