Yeast pitch mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
I had a pretty great overall brewday. I was making the hobgoblin II clone from one of the post here and overall everything went well. I had my efficiency set at 70% in beersmith but I overshot my OG which I guess means my efficiency is going up a little. The one thing I think I screwed up on was when I went to pitch the dry yeast I didn't rehydrate it first, I just dumped it right into the better bottle carboy. What ended up happening is when I tried to kinda shake the bottle to mix it in I got a bit of clumping, kind of like when you dough in you get clumps that don't mix till you work them in a bit. Well no matter how hard I shook I couldn't get them all to come apart. I figure what this effectively does is decrease the overall amount of yeast I pitched since some of that yeast won't get access to the wort to help in the fermentation process. So essentially lower flocculation, and perhaps not as good attenuation as.

I know I am being on the paranoid side, but I really like this beer so I don't want to mess it up. The OG of the beer was 1.068 and I was using Danstar Nottingham. I know this isn't a really high gravity beer but its higher than what I usually do so I worry if my screw up will result in a high FG or whatever. It is bubbling away though so will have to wait and see.

Anyways just venting cause its annoying me, I am sure itle be fine. If anyone wants to chime in and say "don't worry about it bud I've done the exact same thing and never even noticed a difference" feel free.

Patrick

You won't get lower flocculation, regardless of what happened. The yeast will still floculate when it's finished.

Your attenuation will be the same, too. Even if the yeast is clumped together, it knows where to find the sugars. Some liquid yeast strains (especially some of the English strains) look like cottage cheese, they're so clumpy! It doesn't matter at all. It'll be fine.

Thanks guys exactly what I needed to hear! Now just to sit back and wait for the goodness.

Back