Yeast pack broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboyas157

Reaction score
So when i smacked my wyeast the outside packaging broke so i just put it in a bowl. I am guessing it will do the same thing out side the package am I right?

Yep, if you broke the nutrient pack as well, it will start to ferment and probably foam up a little in the bowl. If not, the yeast will just sit there.

So when i smacked my wyeast the outside packaging broke so i just put it in a bowl. I am guessing it will do the same thing out side the package am I right?

Return it....If Wyeast's "thing" is the smack-pack, it shouldn't fail like that. Honestly, I'm not sure HOW you got it to fail, those outside packs are damn-near indestructible (or so I thought).

Return it....If Wyeast's "thing" is the smack-pack, it shouldn't fail like that. Honestly, I'm not sure HOW you got it to fail, those outside packs are damn-near indestructible (or so I thought).
Yeah a lot of times I have trouble even getting that nutrient pack to burst.

well it seemed like it had a little air to begin with but the starter pack wasnt broken so i smacked it and it seemed like it pushed a little out the bottom corner, and once it started inflating it was going to squirt out.

well I ended up getting another pack since no one has had this problem, I figure there might have been a small hole in it already since it didnt bust open.

Back