yeast options question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aycockbrews

Reaction score
i plane on using safale 04 on a muntons prehopped bitter IPA and amber DME. i was planning on using a refrigerator but i cant get it to the recomended 15c-24c. 59.00f - 75.20f if the math is correct. what i wanta know is there anyother years options i can use? i can get the refrigerator to 5c/40f and lower with no problem and 75f- closer to 80f off.

thank in advance for your help. CHeers!:mug:

Use the swamp cooler method. you can get your temps around 65-68 like that!

Are you using this fridge solely as a fermentation chamber, if so check out temp controllers they modulate the power to your compressor to run the fridge or even chest freezers at ale or lager fermentation temps that you set with the controller.

Clem

ya i wanta use it for fermentation. i think i might talk to the maintence guy here at my apt and see if he will wire one in a temp controllers for me. any ideas on where to get one? will any yeast work at 40f or below?

does the power of the frig plug into that? then that plug on the unit to the wall and the gauge go in to the frig?

Yup just set it and forget. they are really cool i have an analog one and it works very well. remember to set it around 60 degrees for the first few days then raise the temp according to your recipe. well i should have wrote ferment it a temps according to the style your brewing. you got to always remember that the fermentation produces heat!!

i thought they had to be wired in. dose this just contorl the power to the frig turning it on and off to the set temp on the gauge? also i have seen a few people also use a heat element. will i need heat also? im gonna use the frig in my closet it or 2nd bathroom

what it does is cycles off and on between the temp you have it set on. as for a heat element unless you are brewing Belgian styles i dont think you will need it. but if you are a fish tank heater and a tub of water does the trick!! thats what i do in the winter time at night.

Back