Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick question.

When is the best time to add yeast nutrient to your home brew?

It's really not needed at all in the boil IMO.

Other than a pinch in starters I don't use it.

Tried it for two batches. I'm not convinced there is anything lacking in the wort from a yeast nutrition standpoint that doesn't from the malt alone.

Adding it in the last 5 mins of the boil will sanitize it nicely. 5 mins to go would be fine. 10 mins fine too. Even boiling for 1 minute is likely enough.

Tried it for two batches. I'm not convinced there is anything lacking in the wort from a yeast nutrition standpoint that doesn't from the malt alone.

Agreed. Other than extreme high gravity situations I have never found the "need to feed". Won't hurt adding it though.

Adding it in the last 5 mins of the boil will sanitize it nicely. 5 mins to go would be fine. 10 mins fine too. Even boiling for 1 minute is likely enough.

An all-malt wort supplies everything except zinc.

Only time I use it is in mead. There, it's made the difference between being 3 months to be ready and a year.

You're right that you shouldn't except for mead, but it's because honey doesn't have the nutrient base that wort / must has.

Back