Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
So I've decided to make a starter for the first time. I've been reading alot about starters, and I feel I have a good feel for what I'm about to try. Anyways, when I went to order some yeast nutrient, I realized that the package was way more than I needed.

How long will yeast nutrient last?
How do I store it?

Yeast nutrient lasts a long time. Keep it dry and outside of your oven, I suppose, but otherwise I don't believe there are any particular precautions you have to take.

My tube of WYeast nutrient lasted me a year. No precautions for me, I just keep the cover screwed on and store it in my basement in a ziploc baggie. Just bought my second. I'm a firm believer too. Never had a FG finish high, although I always make sure to pitch enough yeast also.

A single tube of the Wyeast nutrient typically lasts me several batches of beer and the starters for them. I typically add about 1/4 tsp to my ~3L starters (or up to that size). I also add either 1/2 or 1 tsp to brew during the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

I also use a stir plate for my starters so they are complete within 24 hours. I cold crash and decant before pitching the yeast cake/slurry. I oxygenate the batch worth with pure O2 too. This combination means that I typically get active fermentation, if not FULL active fermentation within 12 hours of pitching the yeast.

With a stir plate a starter is almost a set and forget affair. Significantly easier than without one. Plus you can make smaller starters. The seriously reduced lag time you get from a starter, proper oxygenation, and adding nutrient makes the minor amount of work involved very much worth it.

I've been keeping mine in the fridge with my fermcap. I also have forgotten to use it 100% of the brews since I bought it.

A single tube of the Wyeast nutrient typically lasts me several batches of beer and the starters for them. I typically add about 1/4 tsp to my ~3L starters (or up to that size). I also add either 1/2 or 1 tsp to brew during the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

Thanks Golddiggie, you just answered my next question! I was going to ask if we need to add yeast nutrient to the boil when we have already added it to our starters

I've always gone by the label. 1/2 tsp for the 5 gallons of wort, 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I add 1/8 tsp to typical starters, I add a tad more for larger ones.

I've always gone by the label. 1/2 tsp for the 5 gallons of wort, 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I add 1/8 tsp to typical starters, I add a tad more for larger ones.

I don't have that small of a measuring spoon. I figure the bit extra won't do any harm. After all, it's just more food for the yeast to eat and get their numbers up before attacking the starter wort. As for during the boil of the recipe wort, since I'm brewing more than 5 gallons, I use more. I typically end up with about 6.75-7 gallons post boil for my normal size batches. So adding a bit more nutrient than they put on the label is ok (IMO)... Plus, I don't recall seeing an OG target for that amount of nutrient. It might be fine in a lower OG batch, but higher OG batches need more for the yeast. Just as they need more O2 [ppm] to replicate before going to town on the sweet, sweet wort. :ban:

Back