Yeast Nutrient for Barley Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I am brewing a Barley wine tomorrow. I wanted to use Safale us-05 yeast but my LHBS is out of it! they have Nottingham dry yeast and Windsor dry yeast. Will those work instead?

Also, I picked up some yeast nutrient because this is such a huge beer. Should I use it? I'm only asking because I did a search for it on this forum and somebody said that yeast nutrient causes off flavors. I don't want that!!

Here is my recipe (Done in Beer Calculus):

OG 1.110
FG 1.027

23* SRM

78 IBUs

11.1% ABV
-------------------------------------------

9 lbs. Light DME
1 lbs. 2-row malt
8 oz. Ganbrinus Honey malt 20L
8 oz. Red Wheat
8 oz. Crystal 40L
8 oz. Crystal 80L
8 oz. Crystal 120L
8 oz. Biscuit Malt
4 oz. Special B
4 oz. Victory

1 lbs. Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (Add in fermenter after a couple of days)

2.00 oz. Centennial @ 90 minutes (FIRST WORT HOP)
1.00 oz. Summit @ 90 minutes
1.50 oz. Nugget @ 90 minutes
0.50 oz. Willamette @ 30 minutes
1.00 oz. Cascade @ 20 minutes
0.50 oz. Cascade @ 5 minutes
0.50 oz. Cascade @ Flameout

2 pkgs. Safale us-05 yeast

I would use the yeast nutrient, I always use it. I haven't heard of it causing off flavours, it should really do the opposite since it helps the yeast to get a healthy, unstressed fermentation.
I recall in some reading (either Microbrewed Adventures, Secrets from the Master Brewers or both) that a number of very good brewmasters always use yeast nutrient.

Thanks! I forgot to ask, When do I put the yeast nutrient in? It does not say on my bottle.

looks like I'm gonna go with the Danstar Nottingham. Think that'll work well in this barley wine?

I'm sure the person who said that about yeast nutrient THINKS that is the cause of the off flavor, which more than likely is something way different entirely, a lot of folks come up with a lot of wild things, and post it when it rarely is the case.

I used yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and even added old bread yeast in the boil (yeast hulls) in my og 1.050 barleywine AND the yeast starters I made. In making a big beer you want to give the yeast as much help as you can. And those things, as well as plenty of o2 are really important to making a huge beer.

It can supposedly lead to an off flavor if you add too much, if you follow the package directions you should be fine.

Just read on the yeast website that the yeast will produce an FG of 1.008. Is that what I want? In beer calculus it says OG 1.110 and FG 1.027

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/nottingham-ale-yeast

Those final gravities don't mean all that much. Those are describing a specific gravity beer, with specific quantities of fermentable sugars at a specific temperature. They'll give you a ballpark of what it's capable of.

If you're going with dry yeast on a big beer like that, pitching 2 packages is a good idea.

I've never made a beer this big before. I was going to mash @ 150 degrees. Is this too low? I don't want a super dry barley wine. Not sure how long to mash for either. I have read on this forum people mashing for 2 hours! Not sure how my recipe will turn out but I'd like a barley wine that has flavors of sweet caramel, burnt sugar, dark fruits, and a tad boozy. We'll see! what do you think?

I'd personally raise the mash temp a bit (152-153) because a like some body in a barleywine.

Also, don't worry about the yeast nutrients. I've used them before and never noticed anything I'd call an off flavor.

Good article Rockfish! Although I'm still confused! What would be the best way to brew my recipe?

Latest posts

Back