yeast not in suspension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
i pitched my yeast this morning, and now that i have a better bottle, i can see that the yeast is in a layer at the bottom of the carboy. there are a few bubbles on the surface of the beer, but just a few. is this normal? i thought it was all supposed to be suspended and eating sugars? any advice?

i'm sure it's working, just let it do its thing and check back in a few days. you should see a krausen start to form on top of the beer.

The layer at the bottom could also be made up of break material. Bits of hops and proteins that werre suspended in the beer when you moved it into the fermentor. The yeast may also settle until it gets into gear. It can take a bit of time (up to a couple days) so be patient. You will see when the yeast really goes to work as the krausen forms over the top of the beer.

yeah, its got a nice krausen going now, at about 24 hours. it looks like it woke up last night big time. i really need to get a little stick on thermometer for the better bottle too now though. just seems funny to me, but i guess when i first pitched the starter they kinda all went to the bottom and laid around for a few hours too. guess its normal then.

Back