yeast in the hot UPS truck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I ordered a wyeast smack pack, its on a UPS truck on its way here. the only thing im worried about is that there has been a heat wave up here in the north east, will my smack pack be ok? I plan on making a 800 mL starter when i get it, I should have got the ice pack with it but i didnt think of it :(

will my yeasties be ok?

You need that cold pack. I was told by my LHBS that when he orders yeast with the cold pack, the pack is melted by the time he gets it, but at least its cold for some of the transit.

This why alot of us dont order liquid yeast in the summertime. I usually switch over to dry during this heat

make a starter when it gets there. only way to tell. if it doesn't work, go with some dry yeast this time around.

definitely go with the cold pack next time, obviously.

i live in tampa, fl. i once worried about the same thing until an LBHS opened here. Its always hot here and i ordered from NB w/ a ice pack, but the UPS guy left the box outside the wrong condo...can you believe that? anyways when i finally got about 1 hour after it was left it the sun, the ice pack was just as hot as the yeast, probably in the 90s im sure. So i pitched anyways and they worked fine. Im sure they were damaged, but they are resilient little guys. I'd get a backup pack if you can, and try them out anways!

800ml from what I read anything under 1000ml does not grow any more yeast cells. My minimum is 1200 to 4000ml depending on the beer.

I throw 1/2 cup light dme in 800 ml of water in an erlenmeyer, toss in 5 hop pellets, boil for 15 minutes, cool, pitch, stir for 24 hours. is this not doing me any good?

When ordering yeast you can get the "Brew Supply" to pack the yeast inside a seperate box within the shipping box with bubble wrap around the yeast and 1 or more cold packs. This acts like a mini cooler and works rather well. Just explain to them that you have had trouble before and need the extra packaging to protect the yeast from the heat.

I am a hard core liquid yeast user so when I order I take several loupes of yeast and inoculate slants and make a starter with the rest of it. Later I can propagate more yeast ahead of time for the next brew day. You can keep several kinds of liquid yeast at 36F for very long periods of time. Just inoculate other slants as needed.

I doubt all of the yeast died. Dormant yeast isn't as tough as dried yeast, but I've rarely had a completely dead pack or vial. Your starter might take longer to grow, but it should be ok in the end. People routinely step-up from single cells.

Back