yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i have this recipe for a bass ale clonehttp://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=86 it is not very clear as to what type of yest to use anyone brew this or something similar? i could use some input from the experts

The clone recipe I have (from the book by Tess and Mark Szamatulski) lists Wyeast 1098 British Ale or 1028 London Ale yeasts for choices... The BYO recipe also lists WLP023 Burton Ale yeast...

You're choice... I'm a fan of Wyeast strains, personally.

thanks for the help. i am doing a double brew day . a porter and a bass ale. for black and tans. three porters and three bass ale clones per sixpack. the porter useswyeast 1028 london ale so the bass will too

I'd change that recipe a little. 1 lb crystal malt is far too much. I'd not use more than 1/2 lb, and try to use English crystal. (You may want to up the pale malt to compensate.) With the sugar, I'd use 6.5 - 7 lbs Pale malt. I'd also use an English pale malt such as Maris Otter.
Although the Fuggles could be OK, you will get better results with Goldings. EKG are best, but you can get good results with US Goldings.

As for the yeast, the only dry yeast I am aware of that could be anything like suitable for Bass would be S-04. Don't try Nottingham or Windsor, they are completely out of character.
If you are going to use liquid yeast, there are a whole bunch of yeasts you could use. Will it be bottled, or kegged, and do you prefer Wyeast or White Labs?
For a low carbonation level in a kegged beer, I'd use WLP002 or WLP005; or WY1968, WY1098, or WY1275.
For a more highly carbonated bottled version, I would use WLP013 or WLP023; or WY1028
[EDIT] There's a whole bunch of liquid yeasts that I haven't tried. I'm not going to say anything good or bad about them. [/EDIT]
-a.

i had planned on using marris otter. i was going to use 7 pounds so i may take your advice on the crystal. i usually use safale dry yeast or white labs liquid. that recipe is pretty vague it doesn't give the lovibond for the crystal or the type of yeast. by the looks of your avatar i will take your advice on the english beer clones

Looking at both of the recipe books I have, which both list Bass Ale clones...

From the 200 recipe book:
9# UK 2 Row malt
14oz 55L British Crystal malt
1oz Northdown hops (9%AA) 60 min
.25oz Challenger hops 15 min
.5oz Northdown for 10 min
.25oz Northdown for 1 min
Mash at 151F for 90 minutes
90 minute total boil time
OG: 1.052-1.053
FG: 1.012-1.013
IBU: 37

They do say to reduce the hop amount by 28% for all grain brewing.

From the BYO clone issue:
7# 2 Row
2# Flaked Maize
1# 60L Crystal malt
.75oz Roasted Barley
8 AAU Northern Brewer hops (9% AA) 60 min
2 AAU Northern Brewer hops 15 min
Mash at 152F for 1 hour
90 minute boil
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
IBU: 32

So, two publish recipes, both say they're a clone of the original and two rather different grain bills...

Personally, I'd NOT use any sugar in the recipe. Better to use more grain and mash so that it finishes lower (as both of the above recipe's should do.

Pick the one that looks better to you...

Since you already didn't like the recipe you listed the URL for, I'd toss it... Either of the two I list above should give you a good result... Just pick the one you like better. The first is the one that lists Wyeast, the other White Labs... Yeast can be changed as you wish. As I already mentioned, I prefer Wyeast strains in my brews. But, I use Lalvin dry yeast for my meads and other fermentations.

If you want another option, I brewed an ESB last week, which was a tweak on the first time I brewed it... This is the recipe (from last week):

12# UK 2 Row
1# Crystal Maris Otter (55L)
6oz Victory malt
1oz Target hops (10.50% AA) 60 min
1oz Fuggles (4.00% AA) 20 min
Scottish Ale yeast (Wyeast #1728)

Planning to dry hop with .5oz EKG and .5oz Fuggles for 7 days (whole hops).

Grain was milled less than 30 minutes before I started the batch... Love having the Barley Crusher...

If you want, you can remove a good amount of the victory malt if you go with Maris Otter base malt, maybe even remove it all together... I would use some 55L British Crystal Malt (mix .5# each of 50L and 60L)...

Original recipe was the same except I used 6# MO, 5# UK 2 Row (Golden Promise), 1# British Crystal Malt I (45L) and 4oz Victory malt. Was really good, but I decided to tweak it to the above recipe for this brewing. Both use the same yeast.

thanks for the recipe golddiggie probably go with the byo clone as i think i have some northern brewer hops around here somewhere.

I think you'll have better results from a BYO recipe than the other one you found... I've not used maize in a brew yet... They did include 3/4 of an ounce of roasted barley in it...

I picked up some chocolate malt and roasted barley when at the LHBS today... Need to have it on hand for when I want to brew. :ban:

I would suggest picking up the BYO clone recipe issue (250 recipes) or at least one of the other books out there. Good to have them on hand for when you want to make a clone...

What do you call Beer DNA??? BNA??

Back