Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read a lot about people harvesting yeast after primary fermenation, and the one time I tried this, I failed pretty spectacularly.

Is it possible to make a two-stage yeast starter, then pitch half and store the other half for next time? I don't see why this wouldn't work, but it's so much simpler than "washing" yeast from a batch of beer that I figure everyone would be doing it if it were possible.

Is it possible to make a two-stage yeast starter, then pitch half and store the other half for next time? I don't see why this wouldn't work, but it's so much simpler than "washing" yeast from a batch of beer that I figure everyone would be doing it if it were possible.

Yes, exactly how I do it. I washed yeast once and realized it's too much of a pain for my tastes. I just make my starters 0.5 l too big and save some for next time.

I've read a lot about people harvesting yeast after primary fermenation, and the one time I tried this, I failed pretty spectacularly.

Yes, it's very possible and something done frequently. I've started freezing yeast for later use. There are already some pretty good instructions on freezing - do a search and you'll find a few. I use 1/2 pint jars in a small styrofoam box in my freezer and now have six yeasts that I use most often ready for "reawakening".

I'm honestly not sure what I did wrong. I think I let it sit too long, and the viable yeast got mixed in with the trub.

This is the last thing I saw before dumping it down the drain: http://i.imgur.com/MZFRS.jpg
I looked at your picture and unless im missing something that what its supposed to do. you add sterlized water to your primary and let it sit 20 min then you pour off 2 qts of cloudy liquid leaving the trub behind. then you let it sit again for 20 min and pour off more cloudy into 4 pint mason jars, cap em and refrigerate

My problem was that instead of letting it sit for 20 minutes, I let it sit overnight, and the viable yeast got all mixed in with the trub. If you look closely, you can see veins of white going into the murky gray beneath.

That was when I realized that this was an 80 cent packet of US-05 and not worth my damn time.

That most likely wasn't a problem. Check out Woodlandbrew's experiments with yeast washing; he found that the trub has basically as much healthy, live yeast as the creamier bits. The liquid on top is what's important to get rid of. That's where most of the bacteria and sundry nasties hang out. Drain that off and replace it with sterile water, and you should have some good reusable yeast.

Also, where the hell are some of you people getting your ingredients? A packet of US-05 costs me $4, and liquid yeast is about $8 a package.

Back