Yeast Harvesting and washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHetpotatis

Mikael Gran
Reaction score
Hi, I am a complete rookie in the sense of brewing and have just started my first yeast starter and I plan to brew tomorrow. My plan is to make a sweet cider by not letting the brew ferment out completely to have some sugars remain and later pasteurize to kill the remaining yeast in the bottles. My question is, can I save the yeast cake in mason jars even though there are sugars remaining in the mix?

Also sorry if I post in the wrong section

You might consider letting the fermentation run it's course, then after fermentation is complete, back sweeten it to your taste and then Pasteurize.... It seems like you would have better quality control over the finished product.... not to mention a higher ABV....

I've been thinking about it as well but I found this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=193295 and thought it would be fun to try out. Also if I just pitch a higher amount of sugars and stop before it fully have fermented out wont the yeast still be able to make a "higher" ABV? I want to stop around 8 - 9%
The question was can I save the yeast cake for later if there are sugars left in the mix?

Back