Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I posted something similar a short time ago but have decided to put this up again just because I am at a loss. I have had two batches of yeast that I have washed recently, WLP029 and WLP001 that have acted pretty much exactly the same way. First I get a huge harvest of yeast with little apparent trub from the fermenter. (the better part of half a gal). I wash in the fermenter by adding a half gal of boiled water and let sit a half hout to 45 minutes. I then take off the top half gal yeast slury/trub and let sit about an hour at room temp. I then pour off about the top half into 4 pint jars and refrigerate. I end up with about 2 pints of what appears to be yeast. (The four pint jars each about half full of "yeast" topped by about half wort/beer. The big problem is that there is never any clear seperation between the trub and the yeast. I never get the nice white layer that I typicaly get over the trub. My thought is that I am not washing the trub/yeast enough, that i may not be adding enough water when I first take the material from the fermenter. By not washing with enough water I am not giving the yeast and trub enough "room" to clearly seperate. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I have though about taking what I have in the jars and washing it again with another quart or so of water and seeing what happens different if anything. What are your thoughts about trying that?

how long have these pint jars been in the refrigerator? In my experience, it takes a few days to a week before things settle into finite layers.

If that's not it, then you can try 1) adding more water and/or 2) letting each step settle a little longer before you transfer them to the next step.

Thanks bruin ale. I did exactly what you talked about last night. Washed with another couple qts of H20 and let sit for about 4 hours before decanting into pints and into the refrigerator overnight. Took a look this morning and there is absolutly no difference yet. Maybe I just have a couple pints of good yeast???? I plan on giving it at least a week in the refrigerator before I move it into tubes for long term storage. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

I don't think you have pints of good yeast, it takes a while for it to compact. Check it again in a week and I bet it's just a 1/2" on the bottom of the jar like all of mine.

Back