Yeast harvest, storage and reuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I have a Caramel Amber Ale in a fastferment conical which makes yeast harvest part much easier. 9 days into the ferment, I removed and dumped the collection ball full of trub then reattached the ball and reopened the valve.

The photo below is 18 days into the ferment and it appears to be pretty much all yeast with very little trub in the collection ball!

I plan to reuse the yeast (US-05), which will be a first for me, and was wondering how I need to handle the yeast?

Looking at the collection ball, I don't think I need to do any yeast washing right? But what do I need to do if I plan to store it for a week before pitching in a new batch? Can I leave it in a small amount of wort it's already in? Do I need to get it out of the wort? When I do pitch it, do I pitch the full amount? How long can it be stored in the frig? ...???

Any advice would be appreciated!

:mug:

Caramel Ale in FF.jpg

if it's only a week before you use it again I'd just put some foil on the top of that ball and put it in the fridge. Check out the sticky for yeast washing illustrated, with the caveat I've read recently that you should not leave the yeast in water for long times, it's best to leave it on the beer from the primary, or some new wort.

That's correct, you do not need to wash it. For storage of a few weeks the fridge is fine. If the beer is less than 5%ABV it's fine to leave it in the beer. There is sound reason as to why this may actually be better than water. Wort is not a good medium for refrigerated storage.

When it comes time to pitch estimate 3-4 billion cells per ml of settled slurry because the yeast is very clean.

Latest posts

Back