Yeast froze, new plan for wlp545

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
Well crap - had two jars of wlp545 that froze overnight, so I'm guessing they are toast.

I have a 1.078 & 1.094 batches I was going to use the washed yeast for. Since it's a Belgian strain, do you think I could wash the yeast from 1.078 batch? I couldn't find much info on if Belgian strains can be resued from higher gravity batches or if I'm know looking at spending big on yeast for these batches.

Well crap - had two jars of wlp545 that froze overnight, so I'm guessing they are toast.

as in jars like jars of yeast you harvested ? I have had yeast freeze and just warmed up and use it

make a starter and you will know if it is good or not

all the best

S_M

as in jars like jars of yeast you harvested ? I have had yeast freeze and just warmed up and use it

make a starter and you will know if it is good or not

all the best

S_M

Yeah harvested yeast. Maybe I will make a small starter and try then, at least I didn't throw them out yet.

Should I make a lower gravity starter and step up?

Freezing the yeast is not the end of it all. Calculate a 10% loss in viability for each freeze/thaw cycle.

The strain doesn't matter. You can reuse yeast from a 1.078 batch. It's not considered optimal because the yeast has "been through" more, but it's fine.

It's on the stirplate now, I'll try to remember to snap a pic in the morning to see if I was able to salvage it.

Not quit 24 hours in, it's going.... image.jpg

Should I get the sulfur smell from the starter? I don't think the first time I used this yeast the starter smelled, but the 5 gallon fermentation did...

It happens, probably from stress. Usually I associate strong sulfur with fermenting ales under 60F, but maybe the freezing played some part in that. Seems like it's taking off, though.

Back