Yeast from the grocery store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I don't have a LHBS near me and I was thinking that I could use the yeast in the grocery store like Res Star. Has anybody tried this before? If so what was your recipe? I don't want it to taste like bread. If at all ill just get some and experiment with it. It can't be that bad right?

I seriously doubt that your grocery store carries any yeast that is suitable for making beer. Save their yeast for making bread.

A friend of mine makes wine with bread yeast all the time. It's not bad, though it doesn't clear up nice.

ja09 said:
It probably could be that bad! If you really want to try, do a 1gal experiment and post your results :mug:

It IS that bad! Just don't do it. Buy some yeast online; it's fairly cheap.

DanH said:
It IS that bad! Just don't do it. Buy some yeast online; it's fairly cheap.

Yea I always just get it online. But I don't have any right now and I want to try to make something today. Sounds like it would work but not the best. Oh well thanks for the info guys.

I used to do it sometimes back in college with wine/cider. The results were drinkable, but not great.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I'd say just cough up the extra few bucks and have some proper yeast shipped to you. It's worth it, and will taste SO much better.

A friend of mine makes wine with bread yeast all the time. It's not bad, though it doesn't clear up nice.

wine is simple sugar, beer is not.
bread yeast strain has been developed to consume simple sugar
and produce large amounts of co2 in a short time.

it doesn't attenuate well, it likes hot temps.
off flavors, attenuation and floculation aren't factored in. baked goods aren't clear and off flavors are cooked away.

Well I just washed yeast so I will have some when I'm ready and have the urge to brew.

Back