yeast for zombie dust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I have seen alot of wyeast 1968, wl-002, and s-04 (I know the liquid strands are the same and s-04 is whitbread). But i have also read that they use a California ale yeast and s-05. I have never used the English style yeast and am a little worried about the fruity notes it may impart. What is the best style of yeast for a ZD clone?

A while ago on either Ratebeer or Beer Advocate (i can't remember which) somebody from 3floyds confirmed it was 1968.

I also read on one of the other forums that the Three Floyd's brewer recommended the WY1968 for Zombie Dust clone.

A while ago on either Ratebeer or Beer Advocate (i can't remember which) somebody from 3floyds confirmed it was 1968.

1968 is closest, yes but I know for a fact that 3Fs uses a house yeast for almost all of their beers. Something very highly flocculant with medium attenuation (~70%) will work. Personally I would favour Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) fermented at the bottom end of its temperature scale around 65 degrees.

A guy who works at the LHBS who knows the brewers at 3F stated that the 3F house strain is Wyeast 1028 - London Ale. Apparently they order a lot of it (not from the LHBS though..)

This is what I was told when I made my ZD clone.

Back