Yeast for half batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I split my 5 gallon batches into two 3 gallon fermenters and am going to use s-05 rather than liquid yeast. Do you folks have a way of splitting a yeast packet, or is it good to dump a packet in each fermenter?

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure how make sure it is sanitized. So, wondering if the risk of infection is higher than the risk of doing something bad to the batch by overpitching.

it'll be fine. just be clean about things. we do it all the time.

Make up a starter with RO water and re-hydrate the yeast. Around 90F should do nicely. After 10 minutes add just a bit of corn sugar and a very small amount of yeast nutrient VERY small. That is, if you have them available. Sugar is pretty abundant. :) take that dehydrated yeast and divide equal amounts of liquid into the fermenters. Don't worry, all will be good. I've dumped 5 gallon buckets of yeast into several 250 gallon totes in the cellar when we were fermenting in multiple containers.

You can split it safely. Doesn't have to be 100% exactly half and half, either. Just tap it out until you get in the ballpark. If you have a vacuum sealer, seal the second half until it's needed.

don't bother trying to split the dry yeast...rehydrate, stir, then pour roughly half in each fermentor....

Much easier to split a cup of rehydrated yeast than 11g of dry yeast...

I split my 5 gallon batches into two 3 gallon fermenters and am going to use s-05 rather than liquid yeast. Do you folks have a way of splitting a yeast packet, or is it good to dump a packet in each fermenter?

I have a foolproof way of splitting a packet of dry yeast. I guess when I have dumped in half. For the next batch I dump in the rest. It always makes beer. Between batches I simply fold over the packet top and secure it with a clothespin. Some people are way more careful and guess what? They get beer too.

Weigh the packet on a gram scale with the top sanitized and cut off. You will get weight of yeast and foil. Sprinkle in to halfway mark.

Back