Yeast flavours and temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philelmes

Reaction score
Ok, so im reasonably new to AG brewing. But i have made a few ales from kits. I understand most of the processes In AG but want to know more about getting different flavours out of yeast. Im not on about the horrible off flavours from over heating but the different flavours that are achieved at slightly warmer/lower temps. I read somewhere that a 2-3 °c difference can produce fruity flavours.

It also depends on the yeast you are using... Some are naturally going to throw off a little more of a fruity estery note (Wiesen yeasts) Also I think S-04 is a good dry yeast that also will through off a little fruity note... Same with London ESB.

One of the things that I stay away from if I can, is to not stress the yeast by pushing too high on temperature to achieve that in a yeast that does not produce it as a natural byproduct. By doing that you also open the door on fussels and other off flavors.

Basic advice i can give you is to use the yeasts that are recommended for certain styles, and keep your ferementation temperature at the recommended ranges (I keep mine around 64-67 for most of my ales) non belgian.

Latest posts

Back