Yeast flavour experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillman

Reaction score
About a month ago I did the single most informative experiment in my 20 year brewing career.
Pretty simple really - mixed up ldme with a litre of boiling water to an sg of 1048. Spread across 6 glasses, let cool and put a quater teaspoon of a different dried yeast in each then cap with aluminium foil. A week later chuck in fridge for two hours then taste straight from the glass.
The result was incredible, I could really taste the inherent yeast flavours. I had a supermarket ale yeast, American ale yeast, Belgian ale yeast, lager yeast, bread yeast and wine yeast.
The lager yeast tasted absolutely true to type despite fermenting on the kitchen bench at 18 degrees celcius with the rest of the bunch. Best of all were the identifiable wine flavours coming through for the wine yeast despite the absence of grapes. No it did not taste like wine but did carry some of the flavours.
Anyway, it was such a simple and effective experiment that I thought I should share it. I am now far more confident about which flavours in my beer are coming from yeast and which are probably caused by other factors. I was also able to easily identify my favourite, which is where I will focus my energy for the next few beers. I also threw one out on the spot no need to waste time on a yeast I dislike at a fundamental level

I like this because there wasn't too much fuss (time/expense) but you got an interesting result.

I could totally see expanding this to include a range of brewer's yeasts on a simple fully boiled wort.

Thanks for sharing!

I also did one same yeast different food in each glass. Sugar, malt dry, malt liquid, dextrose, honey,
Also interesting and good exercise in flavour identification.

I like this because there wasn't too much fuss (time/expense) but you got an interesting result.

I could totally see expanding this to include a range of brewer's yeasts on a simple fully boiled wort.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice thinking.

I like the idea of adding an extra litre to my next brew volume which I can pull off for experiments like this. It would be far more realistic and no real effort in the context of a whole brew.

I have done two batches where I split it into 2 fermenters and used S04 and S05 - one was an american amber ale, the other an american brown ale - there was a slight difference in the hops (the s04 subdues it) and sweetness (s04 attenuated less). However I am not sure i would have picked them out in a blind testing.

My last experiment was with WLP 001 and WLP 530 - on a mildly hopped blonde - now I know these are completely different yeasts, but the difference in flavour of the 2 beers is incredible.

A local brewery has a flight with all the same beer but all used different yeast. I thought that was pretty smart.

Latest posts

Back