Yeast experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fins2rit

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with trying 5 different yeast with the same batch? I was thinking of brewing 5 gallons and separating it into 5 one gallon batches and try 5 different yeast one per gallon batch and compare how they came out. Has anyone tried this?
Just an Idea tossed around at the dinner table..

I done comparisons between two yeasts and both of the brewing clubs I belong to have done experiments with 5-6 yeasts.

I Split my 10 Gal batches and compare two yeasts. never thought of splitting them up more then that though, Let us know how the measure up to one another.

cheers

Will you ferment them all under the same conditions (which might not give you the comparison you're looking for), or put each batch into optimum conditions for its yeast (which might be a technical challenge)?

I thought about doing this, but couldn't decide how to deal with this question.

In the meantime, I'm doing something similar with hops...8-10 different single-hop APAs from the same mash, with the same IBUs and flavor/aroma additions. Gonna have to boil that one in the house though (so I can get 4 pots going at once on the stove).

i've done duplicate 5 gallon batches and pitched two different yeasts. did this a couple weeks ago, in fact. can't wait to see how it turns out.

i've thought about doing a split like this, but as of yet have not obtained the containers i need to do it. good luck, give us details!

just told the wife now I need to get 5 Bottles to do this experiment..lol well off to purchase the bottles as soon as I can I will give details...

Latest posts

Back