What "Style" is this? Christmas editiy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTFowler

Reaction score
5 gallon batch:
Hello, was planning on brewing a Christmas beer but the homebrew store was out of some of the ingredients (grist profile) I had come up with for my brew and they started to tinker with my brew. Here is the grist they came up with (Philly sour) and 1 oz of hallertauer mittelfrueh

1000006462.png

What should I direct this towards?

Just for prospective
This was the original grist I came up with with a target of 5% abv. With Philly sour yeast and 1 oz of Magnum, cinnamon, ginger and cloves was going for a gingerbread vibe
1000006463.png

What is your question. Is it...

A) Now that my grist has been changed by the Dude-At-The-LHBS, should I still add the Molasses, Honey, and Spices?
B) Given that I have apparently decided that I won't be adding the Molasses, Honey, and Spices, what should I add instead?
C) If I add the Molasses, Honey, and Spices to the wort resulting from the new grist, and fermented with Philly Sour, what BJCP style will my beer be?
D) Other

As far as a BJCP style goes, it fits with 28C Wild Specialty: "like a fruit, herb, spice, or wood beer, but sour and/or funky." And that's pretty much how I would describe it to friends (assuming you're not interested in entering it into a competition): "like a spiced Christmas ale, but sour."

My experience with Philly Sour is that simple sugar additions result in beers with more sourness. Don't know how much sourness you were hoping for, but it's something to keep in mind.

Back