Yeast Discs in Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielthemaniel

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter today using White Labs English Cider Yeast. It has a best by date of 2/17/2021. I checked on the starter about 3 hours into it and saw these weird yeast discs. I've seen yeast flocculate together but the consistency of the discs is intriguing. I know it's probably just aliens, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?
20200929_140529.jpg

Looks cool, but something definitely went wrong. I would be inclined to dump it and start over

Keep stirring it, they should fall apart and the cells suspend themselves in the starter. The starter should become very cloudy once the yeast is suspended.

Keep stirring it, they should fall apart and the cells suspend themselves in the starter. The starter should become very cloudy once the yeast is suspended.

Good call, I stirred it pretty well and broke apart the majority of the clumps. Looks normal now. Interesting the shape of the clusters. However, I dont think the shape of flocculation warrants any concern.

Latest posts

Back