Yeast Database for Best Practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
There are several places to get info on any yeast (Manf website, Beersmith, Brewersfriend, back of the package, here, etc..), however most just repeat what the manufacturer states.

The main thing I'm concerned about is fermentation temperature. The range given by the company is often large. For example S-05 has a range of 54 - 77 F with an optimal range of 59 - 72 F. Even the optimal range is large. I've read where the low end of this range can give off "peachy/pear/apricot" flavors and the better range is upper 60s and some have stated its clean at 71 deg F. If you didn't know any better then you might just ferment in low 60s (which is in the optimal range), get the off flavor, hate it, and never use the yeast again. A search on the forums would have yielded better ranges for the yeast.

Is there a database where these optimal ranges and associated flavors are located? I hate having to search and get 10-15 different opinions on a yeast whenever I use a new one.

If there's not one, anyone up for sourcing some info for one?

That information is tough to get and trust because it is subjective to taste. I go on this web site and ask questions or do a search.:mug:

Back