Yeast Culture Uncovered for a few hours - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuke83

Reaction score
Got my liquid yeast and starter in flask on stir plate mid day yesterday. Using foam stopper in flask, all was well when I went to bed last night. Got up this morning and the foam stopper was only half inserted in the flask, so half the flask mouth was open. Worst case, stopper popped out as soon as I turned my back last night, so 6 hours max. More likely, a few hours uncovered as it happened sometime during the early AM. Best case, less than an hour uncovered. Not sure I have time to get out and get another liquid yeast today in time to start it for the weekend brew. I do have a packet of dry I could use.

Any thoughts on the risk of my yeast being toast or the risk of using it?

I'd go for it. There may be something out of the air in there, even probable, but it's likely overwhelmed by the yeast you want.

The only times (2) in my 25+ years of brewing I've had a bad batch were both related to bits of hops being trapped under a gasket or o-ring. never an infection from a yeast mishap, forgetting a pot lid being put back on, etc.

It could be an issue, never say never, but if it was my batch I'd definitely roll with it.

So you might have gotten 10 million bacteria in the starter. You probably have 200 billion yeast cells. There are very few bacteria that can propagate in beer so pitch that yeast and make beer.

I'd decide depending on how active the yeast starter was/is. If it was rolling 12 hours post pitch, the yeast is rocking it and nasties don't have much of a chance to join the party. If it's flat after 36 hours, something evil (or beautiful!) might be developing...

I had to dump a brew a couple of months back. Hurt like hell. Still I'd probably risk it if the starter was sufficiently active.

Back