Yeast Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyejb

Reaction score
I just transferred my beer to the secondary and noticed something unusual about the yeast cake. It's like curdles instead of a cake like there usually is.

I have pictures but I'm not sure how to add them.

I didn't notice a ton of activity in the primary so I opened the bucket and there was some fermentation occurring, not as much as I typically see. I think the bucket wasn't sealing completely and I had some activity in the airlock but not as much as usual. I have the typical yeast residue at the top line of the wort in the bucket so I know some fermentation did occur.

My questions are, should I add a dry yeast in the secondary to be safe.

If the answer is yes , The recipe calls for dry hopping, is it ok to do this with the yeast in the secondary. I suspect no, but want to make sure.

Am I good to go, or should I add more yeast. (It tasted fine when I tasted it>)

Thanks in advance!

Take a gravity reading if you want to -- the beer's probably just fine and there's no need for additional yeast. Yeast can compact in a whole variety of ways at he bottom the the fermentor -- don't fret over your curdles.

It's fine. (Oh, and reduce your pix to 600 x 800 pixels in Paint or a similar program and use the "manage attachments" button.) Cheers!

Your beer is fine. There's as many permutaions of how yeast looks as there are stars in the sky, and 99% of them is ugly.

Don't worry about what yeast looks like, what krausen looks like, you can't judge a beer or if there's a problem by looking at that....because it's all ugly.

You don't need to add any more yeast. You just need to relax.

Back