Yeast Bay Saison Blend Stall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
First time using YB Saison Blend here and it looks to have stalled out around 1.030. OG was 1.058. Mashed at 150. Nothing unusual about the grain bill - I've done slight variants of this beer a number of times. Well oxygenated and pitched an estimated 230 B cells of healthy yeast from a starter. Fermented it at 70 F with temp control for the past 4 days. Krausen fell yesterday and no movement since.

Anyone had the same experience? I've tried bumping the temp up a bit and stirring the yeast to get it re-started. TBD whether that helps.

Funny, I brew more saisons than any other style and most often use WL 565 which is notorious for stuck fermentations but never with any issues until now.

Strange. I haven't read about anyone having stalling issues with YB blends.

Yep I haven't heard of any either. I saw the airlock bubbling a bit again this morning so hopefully it's up and running again.

Well it looks like it has attenuated in the end. 1.012 now for 80% attenuation (which is in the middle of the published 78-84%). Hoping I can still knock off a couple more points and hit the upper end of that attenuation range.

Still a bit of an unusual fermentation pattern here that I haven't had with other saison yeasts. Got off to a quick and healthy start and dropped to 1.030 within a few days, then krausen drop and a very slow progression to FG after that. Maybe I should have just let it free rise?

In any case, looking OK now, FWIW.

Maybe try raising the temperature. 70 is pretty low for a saison.

Yes I did up it to 24 C which is the upper end of the YB recommended range. Yeah - generally with saisons I do up the temp (e.g. with WL565 I ramp up the ferment to 30 C over the first few days). Guess I was trying to keep it within recommended specs given the first time use for this blend.

Anyways, it's getting there now and tasting good. Next time I will let it free rise and hold the temp higher to see how that works.

Back