Yeast arrived warm...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got two packs of Wyeast via the mail yesterday - they were on the road for two days. I got an icepack along with it BUT it showed up warm. Not hot or anything and not swelled but warm. The Mfg Date was April 13. The two strains were Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire) and Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Hefe Yeast).

I'll be making a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone and a Bavarian Hefe here within a week. I put both of the packs in the fridge when I got home. Yesterday and and day before's temps were in the upper 70s/low 80s...do I have anything to worry about...by just pitching these as is?

The gravities of both batches are under 1.050 OG.

i've never had any problem with warm ones from the mail.. i typically order from AHS and i live in PA, so it usually takes a week to get here.. i'm sure the cold packs die out after a day or so.. i can't say the same for yours, but if you make a starter you could tell pretty quick if its good or not

I had the same thing about a week ago, except I was already planning on making a starter. The starter took off fine and fermentation in the primary was also going fine only 3 hours after pitching.

Back