Yeast and wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briegg

Reaction score
I would like to make a Belgain white similar to the Blue Moon product for the Mrs (she loved it in college). I tried a wheat beer earlier, and which ended up with very strong clove/banana flavors - probably correct for the style, but not exactly what I'm after

Has anyone tried using a dry ale yeast (US-05 for example) to ferment a wheat beer? I am wondering if the results were cleaner than yeast intended for wheat beer, and if it attenuated properly. Thanks in advance.

I made a belgian wit (the basic model for Blue Moon) with US-05 and it worked well. The yeast didn't add anything to the flavor, which let the orange peel and corriander take the spotlight.

The esters that Belgian yeasts produce can be limited by fermenting at lower temperatures.

The esters that Belgian yeasts produce can be limited by fermenting at lower temperatures.

Agreed, but Blue Moon is a severely Americanized Wit. It doesn't have any of the yeast flavors in it and is just a light wheat beer with the spices.

If she likes Blue Moon, I think you would be best off using US-05.

Unless you used a hefe yeast strain you shouldn't get that much clove or banana taste from a regular wheat yeast strain. That suggests to me that your temperatures may have been too high during fermentation (or you used a hefe strain, or both.)

I've never tried using US-05 or Nottingham for wheat beers, it would probably come ok, but lack a lot of the wheat beer characteristics. There are some other basic wheat strains that come dry (I think Munton's makes one) that I would try instead.

Back