Xtreme noob - need kit recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo11

Reaction score
Never brewed before but I ordered a setup and I should have my equipment this week. Since it's summer I'm assuming I need to brew an ale. My carboy will be in my house so the temps will be high 60's low 70's. Any recommendations for an easy ale?

A clone kit is a good idea. Also, you should still try to control your temps a little. Even if it is a damp towel and a fan or a bucket with some ice to keep your temps maintained, every bit helps. Remember that your fermentation temps will be higher than ambient temperature because the yeast will create their own heat.

Welcome!!!

Here's what I'm doing in regards to temp control...

Take one of these (with the lid off)
2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

The one I have can fit 2 carboys/buckets. I fill it about 1/3 with water, I stuck a small aquarium thermemeter with a suction cup on one of the sides touching the water (where I can look at it easily.) Then I put the fermenters in there and put a t-shirt over each of them with the ends sitting in the water to wick up the water. I have a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen (as well as some smaller water bottles) and I add them as needed to maintain a temp in the low 60's. You can also put a fan near it to blow air on the t-shirts....

It's a good idea to brew kits for your first couple of brews, that way all the ingredients are formulated to work together, and it is nearly foolproof...That way if something does happen, you can look at your process and improve on it for next time.

Here are some good beginning brewer threads. Plenty of good info and tips.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7909

What beers do you enjoy most? Any commercial examples come to mind?

Keep in mind I'm new at this and in no way a connoisseur although I would like to be.
I hesitate to say what I like for fear of discussing fine wines and mentioning Thunderbird.

I like German imports like Paulaner Original Münchner.
I like to find beers that I've never had and try them.
Here lately I've enjoyed Warsteiner Premium Dunkel.
As far as ales go I've really on had the Sam Adams Boston Ale.

Back