Wyeast XL Activator, does it need a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozorgnax

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could omit the starter for a Wyeast XL since it seems like a lot of work (plus I have to buy more DME and I don't think I have a jar suitable for an airlock). I am brewing a standard 5 gallon batch and the instructions in the package state that it should be OK without a starter but I just wanted to ask your opinion.
Thanks in advance.

Use this calculator to determine if you need a starter:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It depends on the size of the batch, gravity, and age of the yeast. But most likely, you will need a starter.

Also, you don't need to put an airlock on it. It's actually not recommended since the airlock will restrict the oxygen available to the yeast, and you want the yeast to have oxygen. Just use aluminum foil.

I was wondering if I could omit the starter for a Wyeast XL since it seems like a lot of work (plus I have to buy more DME and I don't think I have a jar suitable for an airlock). I am brewing a standard 5 gallon batch and the instructions in the package state that it should be OK without a starter but I just wanted to ask your opinion.
Thanks in advance.

The older the yeast pack is. The more I would recommend making a starter.

You can use a growler or any other large glass container with aluminum foil for a starter.

That's a nice calculator but I don't think it takes into account the size of the yeast pack. Wyeast XL is 125 ml instead of the standard 50 ml pack.
Didn't know about the aluminum foil though, thanks for pointing that out

That's a nice calculator but I don't think it takes into account the size of the yeast pack. Wyeast XL is 125 ml instead of the standard 50 ml pack.

It does. The 125 size is the standard. The small 50 ml packs aren't very widely used these days.

Wyeast website states that the activator has 100 billion cells. Mrmalty uses 100 billion cells as the amount for 1 pack or vial.

The age of the pack lessens the cell count.

Making a starter is pretty easy and it's like having a mini brew day. then you have an excuse to build or buy a stir plate, among the never ending list of other things.:mug:

Back